Monday, March 2, 2009

Twin Speak: How Embarrassing!

Unlike the title suggests, thankfully I can't recall having had an embarrassing moment for quite a while.

Bella: We've all had them though...those cringe worthy, want to make you cry moments when you do something really really embarrassing and all you wish is the ground would open up and swallow you whole. Thankfully I mustn't have done anything really stupid for quite a while, or otherwise my memory is failing me, but I can't recall any moments like these.

Recently I found an article on a new survey which reveals our top 10 most awkward social situations. Which are yours?

  1. Wardrobe malfunctions Zips left undone; tucking skirt into underwear.
  2. Lost for words Having no response in conversation; forgetting someone's name.
  3. Mistaken baby bump Congratulating someone on a pregnancy when they're not pregnant; offering a woman a seat, assuming she is pregnant when she isn't.
  4. Romantic mishaps Seeing one's ex with a new partner; Saying "I love you" for the first time and not having the sentiment returned.
  5. Looking foolish Making an inappropriate joke.
  6. Nigel no-friends Having someone turn their back on you or, even worse, no-one talking to you at a party.
  7. Embarrassment by proxy Your partner acting stupidly in public; the drunken behaviour of friends.
  8. Dating disasters Awkward silences on a first date; spilling food or drink on a partner
  9. Caught out Making an excuse for not going somewhere, then being caught in the lie; being overheard by the person you're gossiping about.
  10. Clumsy catastrophes Slipping over when attempting to get up after tripping; dropping food on your chest while eating.

I can actually recall experiencing a 'Lost for words', 'Mistaken baby bump' and 'Embarrassment by proxy' moment all at the same time when my husband and I were at a social outing and he forgot my friend's name while asking her about her pregnancy when she wasn't the one pregnant, thus rendering us both mortified and embarrassed!

3 comments:

Shila Shila and Cult Jam said...

I noticed that the ANTI-"mistaken-baby-bump" awkward social situation is missing... and I've been guilty of it!!!

Eh. A coworker was actually pregnant. I didn't realize it because no one directly told me, and, because she was an odd shape anyway I thought she was just getting fatter. Well, she showed up at my office with a baby shower invitation a couple weeks before she was due and I was confused so I asked her who was having a baby. She said that SHE was. I said "Oh." (long pause as I tried to make sense of it all). "Congratulations."

AWKWARD.

Frankie and Bella said...

That would be awkward :) "Oh yeah..right...I knew YOU were pregnant...I just thought you meant someone else". Haha.

Bella

Linda S. Socha said...

Funny....Alas I can relate to number 10 and 9 once very openly...hopefully never again.
Nice blog
Linda