Sunday, February 22, 2009

Twin Speak...A complicated life!

With the advance of modern technology we would have thought that our lives would have been made a lot easier and more convenient...

Frankie: However, after house-sitting for my sister this weekend, I have come to the conclusion that this is a very big misconception.

30 minutes. It took me 30 minutes to turn on the television. Back when I was growing up, I remember we had a good old TV, the size of a house, in that very tasteful wood finish. Similar to the one on 'The Simpsons'. The big box looking TV on the 4 legs and the antenna at the top. All it took to turn on the TV was one push of a button from a very huge remote control. Easy!

So with all the modern conveniences and technology, I find it very ironic that it took me half an hour to switch on the TV. My sister has a state of the art system. One remote to turn on each electronic device.

However, I soon realised that I needed to operate this fang dangle remote by pressing a special sequence of buttons in order to watch the TV. Oh, and should you accidentally press the wrong button and ruin the order of button pressing, well then you need to start all over again and begin the ritual of turning on the TV.

Technology has definitely made our life a lot easier and brought us some great devices however, this is not to say that things are as user friendly as they once were.

Have I become technologically incapable. I used to be so savvy with these things and now, I struggle to turn on a simple TV??? What's happened to the good old days?


Bella: I too find that some of today's technology just simply evades me! And it's not only physical appliances that I can't get a hold on but also social tech applications that confuse me. Like for example, Twitter??? I've tried to understand this concept but can't! What is it?? I mean Facebook I can understand and see the purpose but even this still amazes me some days with the cult following but Twitter??? It's just a bunch of annyoing comments that constantly pollute your Twitter page and nothing more than that. I don't care that you just ate a cheesburger 5 minutes ago...really I don't!

Just for fun...I found a few pictures of useless Japanese inventions. The not-so-ancient Japanese art of inventing ingenious everyday gadgets that, on the face of it, seem like an ideal solution to a particular problem. However, Chindogu has a distinctive feature: anyone actually attempting to use one of these inventions, would find that it causes so many new problems, or such significant social embarrassment, that effectively it has no utility whatsoever. Thus, Chindogu are sometimes described as ‘unuseless’ - that is, they cannot be regarded as ‘useless’ in an absolute sense, since they do actually solve a problem; however, in practical terms, they cannot positively be called ‘useful’.

Enjoy :)



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA I want the fresh air mask real bad.