Friday, June 19, 2009

TwinSpeak...When times are tough

With all this talk of recession and the hard economic situation around the world, I often wonder how some people are managing. What do people do to get by from day to day. How do you save a buck when times are tough?

Bella: I ask this question of myself often. How can I save money? Where can I cut down on my spending? What can I sacrifice? Like the other day, I only bought one pair of Tony Bianco shoes instead of two :) On a serious note though I have become more conscious of things like, meal planning and organising meals in advance. Rather than just wait until the evening and then decide what to cook or go out and get something, I've become more organised in planning ahead and shopping for exactly what I need. I've started turning off appliances around the house of an evening or when I know they're not going to be used for awhile and even turn of the modem connection. I make sure to turn off lights when no one is in the room. I don't know if these things save a great deal money but it can't hurt.

Today I was in McDonalds and I noticed something that made me laugh.

There was a gentleman who had setup his laptop and was using the free WiFi. Not unusual, No. Until I noticed he had also setup his gigantic printer on the table next to him! He also had his mouse and mouse pad and what looked like a month's worth of paperwork on the table next to him. I assume he was catching up on his Internet banking and downloads??

Would you go that far to save a buck??? Me, personally, no I wouldn't.

I decided to dub this man Terri the Tightarse :)

5 comments:

CarrieMarie said...

I don't think I would go that far, either, but maybe he's traveling cross country & needed to get things paid before he'd reach his destination, meanwhile living out of his car. *laugh* Maybe. Of course, now you have me wondering what the ppl at McDonald's thought of him using their electricity for the printer...!

Frankie and Bella said...

Well yeah I wondered that too! Here his is using their free WiFi and electricity to power the printer. He didn't look like he was travelling cross country. Very well dressed and laptop and printer of very good quality.

Bella.

Shawn said...

Frugality is, to sound granola about it, Nature's way. We ignore that at our peril. Strike that. We ignored it: now the peril is here. And rightfully so.

With death comes rebirth. May we wake up from our stupidity and learn.

Frankie and Bella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frankie and Bella said...

@ Shawn Michel: Ha ha. Too true. Society has no one else to blame for the financial crisis but itself and our attitude towards money. But I have to wonder if MaccaD's should be more frugal about their internet usage policy?? Or maybe they can afford it :)